Strasbourg, 20.09.2016 – A delegation of the Council of Europe's Committee
for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment
(CPT) carried out a periodic visit to Lithuania from 5 to 15 September 2016. It
was the Committee's fifth periodic visit to this country.
The main objective of the visit was to review the measures taken by the Lithuanian authorities in response to the recommendations made by the Committee after previous visits. In this connection, particular attention was paid to the treatment and conditions of detention of persons in police custody and penitentiary establishments. The delegation also examined the treatment, conditions and legal safeguards offered to psychiatric patients as well as residents of social care institution.
In the course of the visit, the delegation had consultations with Paulius GRICIŪNAS, Deputy Minister of Justice, Artūras NORKEVIČIUS, Deputy Minister of the Interior, Algirdas ŠEŠELGIS, Deputy Minister of Social Security and Labour, Jūratė SABALIENĖ, Deputy Minister of Health, Evaldas PAŠILIS, Prosecutor General, as well as with senior officials from the Ministries of Justice, the Interior, Health, and Social Security and Labour. In addition, talks were held with the Seimas Ombudsmen Augustinas NORMANTAS and Raimondas ŠUKYS. The delegation also met representatives of non-governmental organisations active in areas of concern to the CPT.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Lithuanian authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Marzena KSEL, Head of delegation
- Inga HARUTYUNYAN
- Anna MOLNAR
- Costakis PARASKEVA
- George TUGUSHI
- Marika VÄLI.
They were supported by Borys WÓDZ (Head of Division) and Dalia ŽUKAUSKIENĖ of
the CPT’s Secretariat, and assisted by an expert Andres LEHTMETS, Head of the
Centre of Psychiatry, West Tallinn Central Hospital, Estonia.
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
- Alytus City Police Headquarters
- Kaunas City Police Headquarters Arrest House
- Kupiškis District Police Department
- Marijampolė City Police Headquarters Arrest House
- Panevėžys City Police Headquarters Arrest House
- Rokiškis District Police Department
- Šiauliai City Police Headquarters Arrest House
- Utena City Police Headquarters Arrest House
- Vilnius City Police Headquarters Arrest House
- Vilnius City First Police Department
- Vilnius City Second Police Department
- Alytus Correction Home
- Kaunas Remand Prison
- Lukiškės Remand Prison-Prison (Vilnius)
- Marijampolė Correction Home
- Panevėžys Correction Home
- Vilnius Mental Health Centre
- Rokiškis Psychiatric Hospital
Social care establishments
- Suvalkijos social care home
|Contact us | Press | www.cpt.coe.int|